Thursday, March 12, 2009

A sense of Deja Vu

2.5 years ago, at the same island, with the same people whom i went with today, the same oath, i embarked on my 2 years of tough military journey. Today, i sent my brother. We exchanged roles this time round.

For the beginning, my mind was full of memories on my enlistment day. The familiar programme. The unwillingness to say goodbye to my love ones. I can see his very "sian" face. I knew how he felt. All for the fact i had been through this. I know he is upset but he put up a strong front. That was also me 2.5 years ago.

When its time to say goodbye, i finally woke up from my memories. I am here today as a family of the enlistee. I start to worry for his safety, whether he is able to cope with the military life. If he is able to eat and sleep well. A sudden sense of unwillingness to see him go. How i hope he would not have to go through this harsh 2 years.

Given the fact that there are commanders there who will take care of him, for his safety and well being. This is a journey where boys become man. He is my only brother and how can i not worry. I am human after all.

Time will fly. 2 weeks to his anticipated first book out. 2 years to complete his National Service. It will be over before you know it.

No comments: